Some Golden Words Of Swami Vivekananda
Some Golden Words Of Swami Vivekananda
1. When there is a conflict between the heart and the brain, let the heart be followed.
2. A man of intellect can turn into a devil, but never a man of heart.
3. Religion is not a theoretical need but a practical necessity.
4. Renunciation does not mean simply dispassion for the world. It
means dispassion for the world and also longing for God.
5. There is no misery where there is no want.
6. The secret of life is not enjoyment, but education through experience.
7. Every new thought must create opposition.
8. Renunciation is the withdrawal of mind from other things and
concentrating it on God.
9. Every man who thinks ahead of his time is sure to be misunderstood.
10. In this short life there is no time for the exchange of compliments.
11. Do not wait to cross the river when the water has all run down.
12. The greatest sin is fear.
13. Better the scolding of the wise than the adulation of the fools.
14. If you love God's creation more than God, you will be disillusioned.
15. Everything can be sacrificed for truth, but truth can't be sacrificed for anything.
16. God has become man, man will become god again.
17. If it is impossible to attain perfection here and now, there is no
proof that we can attain perfection in any other life.
18. That part of the Vedas which agrees with reason is the Vedas, and nothing else.
19. If you want to do anything evil, do it before the eyes of your superiors.
20. Happiness presents itself before man, wearing the crown of sorrow on its head.
21. If one is a slave to his passions and desires, one cannot feel the pure joy of real freedom.
22. If you can't attain salvation in this life, what proof is there that you can attain it in the life or lives to come?
23. Never mind if your contribution is only a mite, your help only a little, blades of grass united into a rope will hold in confinement the maddest of elephants.
24. The cow never tells a lie, and the stone never steals, but, nevertheless, the cow remains a cow and the stone remains a stone. Man steals and man tells a lie, and again it is man that becomes the god.
25. When even man never hears the cries of the fool, do you think God will?
26. Strength is life, weakness is death.
27. Never are the wants of a beggar fulfilled.
28. We want the education by which character is formed, strength of mind is increased, the intellect is expanded, and by which one can stand on one's own feet.
29. Let the heart be opened first, and all else will follow of itself.
30. Tell the man his defaults directly but praise his virtues before others.
31. Activity is life and inactivity is death.
32. Salvation is not achieved by inactivity but by spiritual activities.
33. Even the least work done for others awakens the power within.
34. New things have to be learned, have to be introduced and worked out, but is that to be done by sweeping away all that is old, just because it is old?
35. The man who says he has nothing more to learn is already at his last grasp As long as I live, so do I learn.
36. No one can save a person who hires a carriage to go from one street to another, and then complain of diabetes.
37. By the control of the subconscious mind you get control over the conscious.
38. It is the constant struggle against nature that constitutes human progress, not conformity with it.
39. The very essence of education is concentration of mind, not the collecting of facts.
40. As we get further and further away from sense-pleasures, “knowledge for the sake of knowledge” becomes the supreme pleasure of mind.
41. It is through the many that we reach the one.
42. The soul is the circle of which the circumference is nowhere, but the center is the body. God is a circle whose circumference is nowhere, but whose center is everywhere.
43. The body itself is the biggest disease.
44. If any one of you believes what I teach, I will be sorry. I will only be too glad if I can excite in you the power of thinking for yourselves.
45. When the world is the end and God the means to attain that end, that is material. When God is the end and the world is only the means to attain that end, spirituality has begun.
46. The fear of God is the beginning of religion, but the love of God is the end of religion.
47. Do not give up anything! Things will give you up.
48. The sage is often ignorant of physical science, because he reads the wrong book- the book within; and the scientist is too often ignorant of religion, because he reads the wrong book- the book without.
49. Experience is the only source of knowledge.
50. Do one thing at a time and while doing it put your whole soul into it to the exclusion of all else.